Sunday, January 23Sports News Portal

Formula 1

‘Great talent’ Oscar Piastri will work closely with Alpine in 2022, say team

‘Great talent’ Oscar Piastri will work closely with Alpine in 2022, say team

Formula 1
Formula 2 champion Oscar Piastri will spend 2022 as Alpine’s reserve driver but this year won’t be a simple case of the Australian sitting on the sidelines, as the team’s former Executive Director Marcin Budkowski explained. Alpine will this season field two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso alongside Esteban Ocon for the second year running, which means that reigning F2 champ Piastri will not have an F1 seat. However, it seems that Alpine are keen to prepare the Australian – who tested for the squad in the post-season Yas Marina session – to race in Formula 1. “Oscar is going to be very involved in the simulator,” said Budkowski, speaking last year ahead of his departure from the team. “He is going to be doing a lot of development work, a lot of simulator work, spending time in the f...
Leclerc reveals his biggest improvement of last season – and anticipates ‘challenging’ adaptation to 2022 cars

Leclerc reveals his biggest improvement of last season – and anticipates ‘challenging’ adaptation to 2022 cars

Formula 1
Maranello squad Ferrari are forging a path back to their best and hoping to fight right at the front this season, and their driver Charles Leclerc has also been working hard to improve himself and squeeze everything out of the 2022-spec car. The Monegasque driver missed out on P5 in the standings to team mate Carlos Sainz last season, the Spanish racer having enjoyed a stellar debut season at the Scuderia. But Leclerc noted that he had worked on a significant 'weakness' last year – which should put him in good stead for 2022. Asked where he'd improved most in 2021, Leclerc replied: "Definitely the race management in general. Again, that’s since early 2020 I started to say it was one of my weaknesses; especially in 2019, I had a lot of good qualifying [sessions] but in the race, I was str...
Ferrari set to open talks with Sainz regarding post-2022 contract extension

Ferrari set to open talks with Sainz regarding post-2022 contract extension

Formula 1, Others, Racing
Ferrari are set to begin talks with Carlos Sainz regarding a contract extension, after the Spaniard’s impressive debut season with the Italian squad. Sainz, 27, replaced Sebastian Vettel last season alongside Charles Leclerc (whose deal runs till the end of 2024) on a two-year deal, and went on to finish a career-best fifth in the 2021 drivers’ championship, ending the campaign with a run of 15 successive finishes in the points, and scoring four podiums in total. Speaking at his end-of-season media session in December about extending Sainz's contract, Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto said: “I would like to sit down with him [Sainz]. I have not started yet the discussion with him, I don't know what he's got in mind as well so to date, there is not an answer to that. “First I w...